200 Construction Way, Flushing, NY 11371
Employed by PAGNY for The Division of Correctional Health Services (CHS) of New York City Health + Hospitals (H+H) is responsible for the delivery of medical care, mental health care, and discharge planning in the jail system. Approximately 25% of new admissions per year to the NYC jail system will receive care on the mental health service. This service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, a strong DBT training program, clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, integrated re- entry services, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city.
Under the supervision of the Medical Director of Mental Health or a supervising Psychiatrist in the Division of Correctional Health Services, this full-time position requires the provision of high-quality, team-based psychiatric care, including psychotherapeutic and psychopharmacologic interventions, for individuals incarcerated in the New York City jail system. The psychiatric service strives to provide safe, holistic, and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units (mental observation units) for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour outpatient-level clinic in each facility, substance use treatment, integrated re-entry services, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city. Each of the 12 facilities in the jail system has unique patient population and environmental characteristics; each Psychiatrist will be matched with the population that most closely meets their clinical expertise and desired work location. Experience working in correctional settings is not required, however the ability to work closely and effectively with multiple other disciplines including security staff is critical.
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-4pm
- Provides psychiatric care, including admission evaluations, follow-ups and urgent and emergent consultations to individuals enrolled in the mental health service
- Provide consultation to non-prescribing mental health staff and medical staff about diagnosis, treatment and/or the need for psychiatric medication
- Participate in team meetings with the treatment staff, on a daily basis if working on a mental observation unit and on a weekly basis if working in one of the clinics
- Regularly participate in the creation of individual treatment plans for patients, and review plans already in place
- Evaluate patients for the need for a higher level of care, including hospitalizations. If a patient is hospitalized, maintain contact with the psychiatric staff to ensure continuity of care
- Document all activities in the electronic medical record in a timely, concise and clear manner
- Provide clinical supervision as needed for psychiatric nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Engage in weekly clinical supervision with Psychiatric leadership
- Provide clinical supervision for Psychiatric volunteers (resident or fellow) as needed, including appropriate direct supervision and documentation of evaluation and feedback
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Psychiatrist or Mental Health Manager for the facility, Medical Director or Chief of Service for Psychiatry, or their respective designees
This position is located on Rikers Island.
- Possession of a valid license to practice medicine in the State of New York; and,
- Completion of three years of approved residency training in psychiatry.
Exceptional Benefits include:
- Competitive compensation package
- 10% 401K company contribution after one year of service, with 3% company contribution starting day one
- Choice of a three tiered, starting at FREE medical plans starting day one
- Excellent dental insurance
- Generous paid time off program
- Eligibility for loan forgiveness through the National Student Debt Forgiveness Center
- Visa candidates are considered
- Occurrence-based Medical Malpractice policy coverage
- Salary: $236,900 - $247,200 annually
For more information about our incredible benefits Click here.
Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) is one of the largest multi-disciplinary groups in the country whose main purpose is to nurture and embolden the healthcare providers who take care of the most fragile and vulnerable patients in New York City. PAGNY is comprised of over 4,000 physicians and healthcare professionals who provide services to NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), the largest public health system in the United States. Our practitioners are highly skilled professionals with outstanding credentials who deliver the highest level of quality healthcare to patients throughout New York City.
PAGNY has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, actively encourages applications from groups underrepresented in healthcare.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V