|Position type||Regular Full-Time|
200 Construction Way, Flushing, NY 11371
Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) is one of the largest multi-disciplinary groups in the country whose main purpose is to nurture and embolden the healthcare providers who take care of the most fragile and vulnerable patients in New York City. PAGNY people do more than diagnose and treat; we uplift the spirits and dignity of patients because we love what we do, and it shows. PAGNY is committed to recruiting and retaining productive and enthusiastic physicians and promotes our health professionals’ wellness.
PAGNY is comprised of over 4,000 physicians and healthcare professionals who provide services to NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), the largest public health system in the United States. Our practitioners are highly skilled professionals with outstanding credentials who deliver the highest level of quality healthcare to patients throughout New York City.
PAGNY has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, actively encourages applications from groups underrepresented in healthcare.
New York City Health + Hospitals is the largest public health care system in the world. We are a network of 11 hospitals, trauma centers, neighborhood health centers, nursing homes, and post-acute care centers. Our health system provides essential services to 1.4 million New Yorkers ever year in more than 70 locations across the city’s five boroughs. Our workforce of more than 42,000 employees are uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible.
Correctional Health Services
The New York City jail system is the second largest in the nation. A significant number of individuals in the NYC jail system will receive care on the mental health service. The service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, medication assisted treatment (MAT), integrated re-entry services that includes alternatives to incarceration, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city. Furthermore, CHS has been engaged in an effort to better identify people with neurodevelopmental/neurocognitive disorders and to utilize psychological testing to connect people to services in the community (e.g., with OPWDD).
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm
Under the supervision of a Senior/Supervising Psychiatrist in the Mental Health Service of CHS, this position requires the provision of high quality, team-based psychiatric services including psychopharmacologic interventions, for individuals incarcerated in the New York City jail system. Each of the facilities in the jail system has unique patient population and environmental characteristics; each psychiatric Physician’s Assistant will be matched with the population that most closely meets their clinical expertise and desired work location and schedule. Experience working in correctional settings is not required, however the ability to work closely and effectively with multiple other disciplines, including security staff, is critical.
- Provide psychiatric care, including admission evaluations, follow-ups, and urgent and emergent consultations to individuals with mental health needs.
- Participate in the creation of an individualized treatment plan after discussing the case with the mental health care team, collecting and reviewing psychosocial data, medical history, nursing assessment, and other pertinent information.
- Evaluate patients for the need for a higher level of care, including hospitalization and escalate care when clinically appropriate. If a patient is hospitalized, maintain contact with the hospital psychiatric staff to ensure continuity of care
- Provide patient education, specifically around issues related to medications and treatment adherence, and aftercare services. Document all activities in the electronic medical record in a timely, concise and clear manner.
- Integrate nursing and medical concepts in planning care for medically complicated psychiatric patients.
- Provide consultation to non-prescribing mental health staff and medical staff about diagnosis, treatment and/or the need for psychiatric medication.
- Counsel patients using advanced psychotherapeutic techniques, including in group settings if needed.
- Participate in team meetings with the treatment staff, on a daily basis if working on a mental observation unit and on a weekly basis if working in one of the clinics.
- Engage in clinical supervision, as indicated, with the Supervising or Senior psychiatrist.
- Provide clinical oversight for psychiatric physician’s assistant trainees as needed, including appropriate direct supervision and documentation of evaluation and feedback.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Psychiatrist or Mental Health Manager for the facility, Medical Director or Chief of Service for Psychiatry, or their respective designees.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of psychopathology in assessing patients in need of mental health treatment, including mental status examination and diagnosis.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of psychopharmacology as it pertains to the patient population being treated and writing prescriptions.
This position is located on Rikers Island.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and
- State of New York Certified Physician’s Assistant and
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician’s Assistant and
- At least 3 years of hospital or outpatient clinical experience as a PA in Behavioral Health
- An equivalent and satisfactory combination of education and experience may be considered
- Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.
Minimum 3yrs of licensure in Physician Assistant
Salary Range: $139,226.62/yr. - $149,723.88/yr.