Per Diem Forensic Examiner (Psychiatrist), Correctional Health Services
|Position type||Regular Full-Time|
NYC Health + Hospitals/Correctional Health Services
200 Construction Way, Flushing, NY 11371
Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) is one of the largest multi-disciplinary groups in the country whose main purpose is to nurture and embolden the healthcare providers who take care of the most fragile and vulnerable patients in New York City. PAGNY people do more than diagnose and treat; we uplift the spirits and dignity of patients because we love what we do, and it shows. PAGNY is committed to recruiting and retaining productive and enthusiastic physicians and promotes our health professionals’ wellness.
PAGNY is comprised of over 4,000 physicians and healthcare professionals who provide services to NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), the largest public health system in the United States. Our practitioners are highly skilled professionals with outstanding credentials who deliver the highest level of quality healthcare to patients throughout New York City.
PAGNY has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, actively encourages applications from groups underrepresented in healthcare.
With approximately 65,000 admissions per year and 10,000 average daily population, the NYC jail system is among the largest in the nation. The Division of Correctional Health Services (CHS) of New York City Health + Hospitals (H+H) is responsible for the delivery of medical care, mental health care, and discharge planning in the jail system. Approximately 25% of new admissions per year to the NYC jail system will receive care on the mental health service. This service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, a strong DBT training program, clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, integrated re-entry services, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city.
Perform court-ordered CPL 730 and/or 390 examinations as assigned by the FPECC Director or her designee. Examinations include review of court order and other legal documents; for CPL 730 examination, conference with co-examiner and (if available) defendant's attorney prior to interview of defendant; interview of defendant, typically by video conference; in some cases, review of medical records and other relevant clinical or historical documentation; formation of independent psycholegal opinion as to defendant's fitness to proceed; independent DSM-5 diagnostic formulation; timely submission of written report in format provided by FPECC Director, for review by supervisor; and timely submission of final report for uploading into i-Sight (CHIRP) and delivery to Court.
- Provide court-ordered evaluations for criminal and supreme courts in the respective borough clinic
- Review of all available collateral information (e.g., legal documents, family contacts, medical records)
- Consult defense attorney and ADA as appropriate
- Examine defendant
- Consult with other examiners as appropriate
- Conduct psychological testing for specific cases as appropriate
- Create a timely and concise written report documenting the rationale for and opinion about the mental health question at issue
- Testify as required by courts
- Participate in staff meetings, clinic quality improvement projects, and continuing education as possible/applicable given per diem nature of the position
- M.D or D.O degree with active NY State license in good standing
- At least one year of post-training experience as a forensic psychologist in a criminal justice settings.
- A history of testimony in criminal court cases
- An equivalent and satisfactory combination of education and experience may be considered
Schedule: To be determined at time of hiring (FPECC-MHN)
Salary: $200 per hour
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.
This position will require a background check, security clearance and/or drug screening. PAGNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal and state employment opportunity laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, Vietnam era veteran, or disabled Veteran status.