|Position type||Regular Part-Time|
200 Construction Way, Flushing, NY 11371
Employed by PAGNY for The Division of Correctional Health Services (CHS) of New York City Health + Hospitals (H+H) is responsible for the delivery of medical care, mental health care, and discharge planning in the jail system. Approximately 25% of new admissions per year to the NYC jail system will receive care on the mental health service. This service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, a strong DBT training program, clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, integrated re- entry services, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city.
CHS is seeking Full time, Part Time and Per Diem Staff Physicians Assistants to join our team at Rikers Island in East Elmhurst, NY to promote an academic practice environment with ample opportunities for continuous education, clear pathways for career growth and engagement of front-line staff in the ongoing process of improving clinical care. Staff physicians Assistants provide primary care to patients in jail-based clinics, perform intake evaluation and treatment and provide emergency care with the support of Emergency Medicine physicians. Staff physicians Assistants work as part of a care delivery team with strong administrative support staff, integrated nursing and mental health. Compensation and benefits are competitive and malpractice is covered.
- Complete comprehensive histories and physicals on all new admissions including completion of master problem list (MPL) with diagnosis, lab, and EKG contraindication form and medication list where applicable.
- Diagnose and treat acute and chronic illnesses
- Evaluate the need for consult services and submit the prioritized consult when indicated.
- Review all on island/off-island specialty consult clinic and hospital returns
- Evaluate to ensure that the standard of care is met and implement the recommendations of the consultant.
- Implement plans for patient care utilizing protocols approved by the Medical director and/or treatment plans reflecting the current standard of care.
- Respond to emergencies and fire drills on a priority basis and in a timely and professional manner
- Be familiar with performance indicators (P.I.) and take appropriate measures to comply with these standards
- Perform chart reviews and summaries on all transfe Update the MPL, rewrite medication orders (getting them countersigned) and resubmit consults as needed.
- Request radiology exams, lab-test, EKG’s when indicated and interpret these results with the patient’s clinical All results should be reviewed with the supervising MD or Chief physician.
- Notify the staff MD and Urgicare about 3hour runs and EMS trips.
- Complete and submit all encounter forms on a daily basis
- Witness, sign, and document patient healthcare refusals
- Complete special housing rounds when assigned
- Review laboratory results and document in the medical chart as necessary
- Generate medical modifications as needed
- Generate special needs tracking forms as needed
- Maintain clinical competency by reviewing CHS protocols, current medical literature and M.E’s.
- Ensuring that all progress notes and orders are countersigned before the end of the shift
- Assure that standard of care is maintained
- Maintain all required credentials
- Maintain current licensure and CME requirements.
- Ensure that standard of care is maintained Adhere to policies and procedures of CHS and be familiar with them by reviewing them as needed
- Attends all mandatory in-services Complies with and maintaining Employee Health requirements
- Bachelor's degree; no previous work experience required.
- NY State Licensed Physician Assistant
- Certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Familiar with HER
Exceptional Benefits include:
- Competitive compensation package
- 10% 401K company contribution after one year of service, with 3% company contribution starting day one
- Choice of a three tiered, starting at FREE medical plans starting day one
- Excellent dental insurance including orthodontics coverage starting day one
- Generous paid time off program
- Commuter benefits
- Hiring rate: $77.53 hourly
For more information about our incredible benefits click here.
Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) is one of the largest multi-disciplinary groups in the country whose main purpose is to nurture and embolden the healthcare providers who take care of the most fragile and vulnerable patients in New York City. PAGNY is comprised of over 4,000 physicians and healthcare professionals who provide services to NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), the largest public health system in the United States. Our practitioners are highly skilled professionals with outstanding credentials who deliver the highest level of quality healthcare to patients throughout New York City.
PAGNY has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, actively encourages applications from groups underrepresented in healthcare.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V